Sunday 8 October 2017

I'd rather sit on my butt all day

I lot of people said I was crazy.
Well padded lycra pants and hundreds of kilometres of road would not deter .
The urge to cycle 1000kms 658kms in six days through Outback NSW !

The journey began in Mudgee, out to Dunedoo and Gilgandra; up to Coonamble and then Walgett; across to Brewarrina ; Bourke; before heading back down to Nyngan; before the final day saw the peloton cycle through Trangie, Narromine and back to Dubbo.
 
AERIAL SHOT FROM 2015

After Cancer (twice) I have learned to dig deep and take chances, the hell with everything.

Be strong, be fearless, be prepared to step out of your comfort zone. Then believe that anything is possible when you have the right people there to support you.

I knew I wouldn't manage the whole 1000kms or so , but I did the best I could with 5 weeks training.

It was a fully supported ride , with three backup vehicles (thanks Toyota) ; Lead and Tail safety warning cars who travelled at snail pace (for a car 25-35kms per hour) . All accommodation and meals were covered. So much food. Country town hospitality was fabulous with many lunches and home cooked dinners provided or meals in the local pub.



Only night we had to camp out in the Showground and our local Police brought out the Swags on a 4hr drive

After a long day's ride only.

Rest breaks were every 33kms or so and anywhere.

Despite a few bruises, chaffing and scrapes I enjoyed it beyond measure. I was counting every cm km and my Garmin was always on ! Unless I forgot to re- start it !!


Anticipating a pace of 25km per hour - I soon learned it was actually more like 28-32kms per hour and even up to 34.9kms on the flats .The first day had so many hills. Other riders helped me up hills with a hand on my back. Sometimes two of them at once.I was one of four women, the only one who needed a push.

Then it was 'flat out' till day 6. The roadkill stench was awful .

I won an award (T-shirt) for my OFF ROAD pursuits ...taking a detour down an embankment - and had lots of 'colours' to show for it.

Starting as a very inexperienced rider with little group riding experience - the #peloton saved my @$$. When I needed a break  - I kept the Leading or Tail vehicles' driver company for a spell each day.

Yesterday, I was so glad to arrive HOME - riding 144kms exactly of 166kms for Tour De Oroc. day 6 Nyngan to Dubbo.



It was my biggest physical challenge ever and I'm very grateful for the OROC team who gave me so much encouragement and support. They knew my limitations and helped me get across the line.
A doctor, nurse, solicitors, accountants, RFDS pilot, farmer, former Mayor, Bank manager and several others were in the peloton aged 29yrs to maybe 70+.

The cause was Macquarie Home Stay - $115,000 was raised.

Macquarie Home Stay is your home away from home when you need to come to Dubbo to seek medical treatment at Dubbo Hospital. Established by a group of community members who saw the need for low cost but not low quality, affordable accommodation to be provided, it ensures the cost of accommodation is not a hindrance to seeking treatment when you have to attend Dubbo Hospital.

Day 6 was my longest ride ever on a bike 144kms. Matthew Keenan Sports commentator and cyclist joined us for Day 6 . Matt regularly forms part of the international commentary team at the Tour de France being broadcast around the world and multiple other functions. He gave a great motivational speech Night - Day 5.

It was all over like that. Not, just the beginning.
Home sweet home.
Pizza was inhaled , then a splash of wine while soaking in a long a radox bath. 


#notoneflattyre
#twostacks
#matchinggrazedknees
#twentybruises
#soreprivates
#chaintattooseverywhere
#learnedtolovebeer
#challengebychoice
#withalittlehelpfrommyfriends
#cyclingbeatsrunning
 

100% doing it again

The Great Cycle Challenge going through October was also on my list to ride for Children's Cancer research.




I REALLY wanted to get back on the bike today - except for the much needed rain. I would be.
Outback NSW was bone dry. The rain is a blessing.

I'm currently ranked 5th for number of kilometres ridden in NSW - though my fellow 14-15 Orocers certainly TOP the entire list.

By the way - I need $120 to reach my goal. Everything counts and $5 fiver is perfect.




Honestly, it was a privilege to ride with my fellow Orocers on the 3rd epic Tour De Oroc ride.
The way everyone looked after each other (especially me) was fantastic and the support crew did such an amazing job.

Albert Einstein.